Whey-cide™ is a peracetic acid (PAA) based microbiocide developed explicitly for its use in federally inspected dairy processing plants. Whey-cide™ reduces the incidence of pathogenic organisms, bacteria, and other microorganisms that cause contamination and spoilage.
The use of Whey-cide™ is admissible for direct or indirect introduction into lactose or whey operations that make products intended for use as a food or beverage additive for human consumption. Since Whey-cide™ acts as an indirect process additive, it doesn’t need to be declared on any subsequent product labeling.
- Food-grade formula
- High oxidation potential
- Strong reactivity
- Degrades to water, oxygen, and acetic acid (vinegar)
Whey-cide™ is an equilibrium mixture of peracetic acid, hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, proprietary ingredients, and water. It can be applied for human consumption to whey protein concentrate/isolate and lactose production. Its uses include:
- Dairy whey processing operations
- Introduction into whey just before ultrafiltration
- Additive in whole or pasteurized whey
- Additive in wash water during lactose production
- Application anywhere in the production train system where microbiological growth may be problematic
Per FDA Food Contact Notification #641 and #879, only Enviro Tech Chemical Services, Inc. or its authorized distributors are permitted to use peracetic acid products for whey protein concentrate intended for human consumption. EPA labeling or approval is not required for this product’s use per ARTCA, 1998 under FFDCA regulations #201(q)(1)(B)(i).